Monday, January 17, 2005

Endangered Scene

Last Friday night, my darlin wife and I headed out on the town with some dear friends. First of all, we had a blast. Q works her fingers to the bone day after day and deserves more than anyone to let her hair down now and again. We hit the scene around 10 and started off by going to a place that used to be an old hole in the wall that had live music, I personally have played there probably 30 times and even on the slowest of nights I had a blast. They closed that place down a while back, remodeled and opened it up as a new club. There isn't even a speck of the old place left. It was completely gutted and rebuilt, and I must say it looks awesome. In the old days, you could find many familiar faces; young folks and old folks and people that represent this fine city. This weekend I recognized no one; the club was populated with hundreds of 21-25 year old hipsters from the local university that moved in and took over. The placed looked great, but it made me sad.
So we finished our beers and went to Georges which is just down the street. There they were....all the familiar faces, I was relieved and stoked. Georges is the last stronghold of what was once a great center of live music and entertainment. One by one the good old places are closing down, and reopening for someone elses enjoyment, all in the name of "progress". We stayed out til the wee hours of the morning and had tons-o-fun.
Thanks Georges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home